This document provides and overview of getting started with the Konductor Extension for Dreamweaver.
The Konductor Extension for Dreamweaver enables designers to create twebsites and upload them to Konductor's servers. Designers are able to create Dreamweaver templates (*.dwt files) and define which sections will be editable within the Konductor application, and whether they will be displayed content, menus or forms. For more information on how to cretae pages and edit content within the Konductor application, please see the Konductor application getting started guide.
- Download and installation
- Creating a designer account
- Creating a Konductor site
- Creating editable regions
- Synchronizing your site
- Managing content
- Known issues
Download and installation
The Konductor Extension for Dreamweaver can be downloaded via the Adobe Dreamweaver Exchange. Please ensure that you downoad the appropriate version of the extension that corresponds to your version of Dreamweaver.
After the download has been completed, simply open the *.mxp/*.zxp file, and the Adobe Extension Manager will be launched. After accepting the license agreement, the installation will take place.
Once installation is complete, the Konductor Extension will be available after Dreamweaver is restarted.
Creating a designer account
There are three different ways to create a designer account with Konductor:
Konductor welcome screen - After Dreamweaver launches, click on the "Create Account" button on the top right of this window, and you will be taken to the account creation screen.
Dreamweaver "Site" menu - Go to "Site", then click on "Manage Konductor Sites...". Click on the "Create Account" button on the bottom left of this window, and you will be taken to the account creation screen.
Konductor website - Click on any of the "Get started for free" buttons on the Konductor website, or simply follow this link to create a new designer account.
Creating a Konductor site
To create a new site based off our example template please follow the steps below:
- Go to the "Site" menu, select "New Konductor Site", then click "Example Site...".
- If you are not logged in, you will need to log in using the details you defined when you created a designer account.
- The site creation screen will prompt you to enter three different things:
- Site Name: Dreamweaver will use this name internally to identify your site, and it will also be used when a content editor logs in using the Konductor AIR Application.
- Site URL: This allows you to create a website address that will be used to access your website. If you wish to add your own domain name, this can be done through the designer administration website.
- Local Site Folder: This is the folder on your computer that will contain a local version of all the files associated with your site.
For more information on creating and managing sites within Dreamweaver, please see the official Dreamweaver documentation.
- Open the "Templates/Homepage.dwt" file, which you can access using the Files panel.
Creating editable regions
To create an editable region, simply follow the same process outlined in the offical Dreamweaver documentation.
The Konductor property inspector for editable regions allows you define additional settings. The Konductor property inspector will allow you to select the following options:
Content Region: This option allows a content editor to edit any type of content available within the Konductor AIR application.
Menu Region: This option allows a content editor to select any one of the defined menus available within the Konductor AIR application. Layout CSS will be linked to within the document, and greeked text will be inserted as menu items, allowing the designer to see how content will appear within the defined menu constraints.
Form Region: This option allows a content editor to build a form within the Konductor AIR application. Layout CSS will be linked to within the document.
Synchronizing your site
If created your site by going to the "Site" menu, and selecting "New Konductor Site", everything required to communicate communicate with the server will already be setup.
To synchronize your Konductor site, simply follow the same process outlined in the official Dreamweaver documentation.
Once you have uploaded your site, you can begin editing the content using the Konductor AIR application. If you do not have this installed, you can download it from our website.
For more information on getting started with the Konductor AIR application, read our getting started page.
[There are currently no reported issues with the Konductor Extension for Dreamweaver]